With growth drivers like digital channels, increased online accessibility via mobile devices, and technological innovation, it’s no surprise that the online fashion industry has skyrocketed- and if you as an entrepreneur with an eye for fashion, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved. E-commerce offers a huge opportunity to grow your business without the overhead that can come with traditional operations. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about how to do business of online clothes and how your business can reach its maximum potential.
How to do Business of Online Clothes
Online clothing business ideas
- Sustainable fashion brand – Create a brand that focuses on using environmentally-friendly materials and ethical manufacturing processes.
- Vintage clothing store – Source and sell vintage clothing items, either through your own website or through a platform like Etsy.
- Custom clothing design service – Offer a service where customers can design their own clothing and have it made to order.
- Plus-size clothing line – Create a line of stylish and fashionable clothing options for plus-size customers.
- Sports team fan gear – Design and sell fan gear for specific sports teams, or create a line of customizable fan gear.
- Streetwear brand – Design and sell streetwear clothing and accessories.
- Children’s clothing line – Create a line of cute and practical children’s clothing.
- Activewear brand – Design and sell high-quality activewear for people of all sizes and abilities.
- Maternity clothing line – Create a line of comfortable and stylish maternity clothing.
How to prepare clothes to sell online
- Clean and iron the clothes – Make sure the clothes are clean and wrinkle-free before taking photos or shipping them to customers.
- Take high-quality photos – Use a good camera or smartphone and a well-lit area to take clear, detailed photos of the clothes.
- Measure and list size – Accurately measure and list the size, dimensions, and fit of the clothes to help customers determine the best fit for them.
- Write detailed product descriptions – Include information about the materials, care instructions, and any unique features of the clothes in the product descriptions.
- Price the clothes appropriately – Research similar items and consider the cost of materials and production when determining the price for your clothes.
- Package the clothes carefully – Use sturdy boxes or envelopes and wrap the clothes in tissue paper or bubble wrap to protect them during shipping.
- Offer good customer service – Respond to customer inquiries and concerns promptly and be willing to accept returns or exchanges if necessary.
Stay up to date with trends
How to price clothes to sell online
- Production costs – Consider the cost of materials, labor, and any other expenses that went into producing the clothes.
- Competition – Look at what similar brands or stores are charging for similar items, and try to price your clothes competitively.
- Quality – Higher quality materials and construction should generally command a higher price.
- Brand – If you have a well-established brand, you may be able to charge a premium for your clothes.
- Demand – If there is a high demand for a particular style or type of clothing, you may be able to charge more for it.
- Sales and discounts – Offer periodic sales and discounts to help move inventory and attract customers, but be careful not to devalue your brand by constantly offering deep discounts.
Staying safe online
It is extremely important to stay safe when selling online, so we recommend communicating only with potential buyers using the messaging and chat services offered by each platform. Avoid including your contact information in product listings or descriptions. In the end, no matter how trustworthy you are, you should never ship an item without receiving payment first.
Offer bundle discounts
If you are nearing the end of a large quarantine, you can sell more items by offering bundle discounts. In the description of your items, mention that you are willing to offer the items at a reduced price if you buy a large quantity of the items. This will lead buyers to your listing and encourage them to take a closer look!
Benefits of selling clothes online
Starting any kind of business can be a huge challenge, but the online clothing marketplace is a good place to be. With trends going up and many business models that allow for flexibility (and affordability), starting an online store can be an easy start to success. Backed by a perfect online platform and a strong business plan, there has never been a better time to realize your clothing store dreams.